Bio 210 Sample Exam 3 Chapters 12-14
1. The control center for the entire body, which includes the brain and the spinal cord is the:
2. Nerves which convey impulses from the periphery to the spinal cord are:
3. Cells which supply support and protection to the central nervous system are called:
4. The largest nerve from the sacral plexus is the:
5. Bundles of myelinated neuronal processes in the central nervous system are:
6. Cerebrospinal fluid is found in all of the below except:
7. Neurons with several dendrites and one axon would be classified by structure as:
8. These fibers conduct nerve impulses from the central nervous system to smooth muscle, cardiac muscle, glands, AND skeletal muscle:
9. A bundle of axons or fascicle has a connective tissue covering called the:
10. An action potential is generated when a threshold signal reaches the:
11. Rapid responses to stimuli in the internal or external environment are:
12. Which of the following does not have both sensory and motor functions?
13. Motor areas on one side of the brain control skeletal muscle movement of the opposite side of the body because:
14. There are pairs of spinal nerves and pairs of cranial nerves.
15. Which cerebral lobe contains the visual cortex?
16. The cortex of the upper brain is:
17. Which of the following is derived from the metencephalon?
18. Folds or convolutions which protrude from the cerebral surface are called:
19. The left and right sides of the cerebrum are separated into hemispheres by the:
20. Neurons that conduct impulses from the central nervous system to skeletal muscle are part which nervous system?
21. The terminal, cone shaped end of the spinal cord is the:
22. Cells which are excitable and highly specialized for conduction of nerve impulses are:
23. Action potentials are conducted more rapidly when:
24. The meninges:
25. The action potential can jump at the on the myelinated axon in saltatory conduction.
26. These supporting cells in the central nervous system form the myelin:
27. The supporting cells that line the ventricles and aid in circulation of cerebrospinal fluid:
28. A bundle of fibers (axons or dendrites) in the peripheral nervous system are:
29. The control center for respiration is located in the:
30. Restoring the membrane potential to the resting state is:
31. The major ion that moves into the neuron with depolarization:
32. Groups of neuron cell bodies in the peripheral nervous system form:
33. The corpus callosum contains which type fibers?
34. A neurotransmitter is released at the synapse and generates a depolarization of the postsynaptic neuron. This is a/an:
35. The emotional brain is called the:
36. Many blood toxins do not affect the brain because of the:
37. The cell that is a special type of macrophage to remove foreign matter in the CNS is the:
38. Which of the following is true for mature neurons?
39. Which of the following is not considered a neurotransmitter?
40. The part of the brain specializing in learned skills like typing:
41. This area of the cerebrum is often called the speech area:
42. Cerebrospinal fluid is made at the:
43. In spastic paralysis:
44. Which of the following contains only sensory fibers?
45. Parkinson's like tremors are associated with inappropriate release of which neurotransmitter in the brain?
46. Basic autonomic reflexes that sustain life are controlled by the:
47. The meninges nearest the brain:
48. Ischemia can lead to neuronal damage due to lack of:
49. In the crossed extensor reflex the ipsilateral side is:
50. The sense of smell is associated with which cranial nerve?
51. Babinski's sign is normal for:
52. The radial nerve is derived from the:
53. Two pairs of spinal nerves are associated with the:
54. The gray commissure is found:
55. The anterior groove of the spinal cord is the anterior:
56. The inner portion of the spinal cord contains matter, while the outer portion is _____ matter.
57. The pituitary gland is attached to the brain by the:
58. Which nerve is not involved in eye muscle movement?
59. Integration occurs at the:
60. Coordination and precise skeletal muscle movement is controlled by the:
61. A neurotransmitter that is inhibitory would cause the membrane to:
62. Choose the brain wave pattern with highest frequency and lowest amplitude:
1.What are the components of a reflex arc? You may use a diagram.
2.Give a flow chart for the organization of all branches of the nervous system.